May I die,
Before I die,
So when I die,
I will not die.
This saying above is one that is often found in the monastic “cells” (rooms) of the monks of Mount Athos. It reminds them that here in this life is the arena where we are called to die to self so that having done so we might be resurrected to the eternal life with God. Here on earth we are aided in resisting sin and selfish behaviour by remembering our death. “What does it profit a man to gain the entire world and to forfeit his soul?”, our Lord and Saviour asked us. We answer by saying: “It profits me nothing! Let me live for you and you alone…” Let me die to my self here so that when I die I will not die but live eternally with you in Heaven, in the eternal embrace of Love, selfless love. (Fr. Amphlochios)
What does “Dead Orthodox” mean?
It is the Holy Gospel in two words: through death in XP, Life in XP.
- Matthew 16:25: For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
- Colossians 3:3: For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
- Romans 6:8: Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him.
- 1 Timothy 2:11: If we be dead with Him, we shall also live with Him.
- Numbers 21:9: And Moses made a bronze serpent, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he looked at the bronze serpent, he lived.
- John 3:14-15: And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
- John 12:23-25, 32: And Jesus answered them, saying, The hour is come, that the Son of man should be glorified. (24) Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. (25) He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. (26) If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour. (32) And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
- John 15:13: Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
- Galatians 2:20: I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
- Gal 3:13: Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree.
- Gal 6:14: God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.
- 1 Corinthians 15:31: I die daily, I affirm by your glory, brethren, which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- 2 Timothy 4:8: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.
- James 1:12: Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
- St. Anthony the Great: Death, if one keeps it in mind, is immortality; but to not keep it in mind is death.
- St. Isaac the Syrian: …the Saints that while alive they were dead; for though living in the flesh, they did not live for the flesh.
- St. Paisios: If people do not think about death, they are living outside reality. Those who fear death and love the vain life of this world also fear germs and are constantly overcome by a timidity that always grips them in a state of spiritual death.
- Elder Cleopa: The greatest wisdom that guards a man from all sin, and guides him to perpetual happiness, is to always see death in front of you! And to have Jesus Christ (the prayer) in mind and heart!
- St. Gregory of Nyssa: For our sake He became a serpent, to devour and consume the Egyptian serpents produced by the sorcerers.
DTTW (Dead To The World)
DOFFOD = Dead Orthodox Forever, Forever Orthodox Dead
Ave Christus Rex (ACR) = Hail Christ the King
Fratres Aeterni = Eternal Brothers
What is the DOC about?
- Love for Christ
- Love for Orthodoxy
- Love for America
- Love for all mankind